Monday, November 26, 2012

Egg Nog

It's time for one of my favorite Christmas traditions: egg nog. Growing up, Harrison and I were stuck with  the storebought fake stuff--we'd thin it with milk to make it taste better. But now we're allowed to have the real stuff, from the milk gallon marked EGG NOG. It tastes like joy and happiness and sitting by the fire on Christmas Eve with cookies and friends before you head to the third service at church. It's a very old family recipe: Auntie Nette has the recipe written in my great-great-great grandmother Jane Paxon Ely Bailey's own hand.

 The original recipe calls for a dozen eggs, but since salmonella is a thing, we've been using Egg Beaters.

Andrew and me before Christmas Weekend his senior year!
 If you don't like egg nog--or, worse, if you think that storebought stuff mixed with rum is yummy--you must try this recipe. Instead of being thick and gross, it's light and airy and creamy and spiced and amazing. Andrew didn't think he liked egg nog until I made it for him his senior year; he's made it every Christmas since. Actually, we went ahead and made some while I was baking my pecan pie the Tuesday before Thanksgiving... we deserved it!

Andrew gave me a Jefferson cup with my future monogram last Christmas for my egg nog!

Egg Nog (my third-great-grandmother's recipe)
If you're using whole eggs (or just the yolks): Separate the yolks from the whites in 1 dozen eggs. Beat yolks with 12 Tablespoons sugar until very light. Beat whites in a flat dish.

If you're using Egg Beaters: Mix together 1 dozen egg-equivalent with 12 Tablespoons sugar.

Mix 9 oz. cognac and 4 1/2 oz. rum in a pitcher. Pour liquor very slowly into yolks (or Egg Beaters), stirring until well mixed. Pour in 1 quart milk, 1 pint light cream and 1 pint whipping cream. Add allspice, cloves and nutmeg to taste. Pour in egg whites (if separated) at the end. I like to sprinkle some nutmeg on top before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment