Friday, July 27, 2012

"And in the morning, I'm makin' waffles!"

I'm traveling up to Pittsburgh for a wedding this weekend! My friend Mike, who I've known since second grade, is getting married! My brother is in the wedding and my dad is performing the ceremony, so it'll be a mini-family reunion in addition to a great wedding. So this weekend, I'm giving you Thursday's breakfast. Waffles are a breakfast classic, but--wow, are they a lot of effort! I probably should have had coffee before I got going. Maybe I should have subtitled my blog "the misadventures of a newlywed," since I made a teensy mistake with my recipe. I was making 2/3 the recipe... except for the eggs. An additional egg white made the waffles a little too light and thin, but they still tasted great. Look at this full and nutritious breakfast!


Waffles, from the Joy of Cooking
To make 6 waffles:

Sift before measuring: 1 ¾ cups flour. Resift with 2 tsp baking powder, ½ tsp salt, 1 tblsp sugar. Beat 3 egg yolks and add 2 tablespoons vegetable oil and 1 ½ cup milk. Make a hole in the center of the sifted ingredients and combine all with a few swift strokes. The batter should have a pebbled look similar to muffin batter. 

Beat 3 egg whites until stiff but not dry. Fold them into the batter so they are barely blended. Cook in a waffle maker.



To make 4 waffles:
1 1/6 cup flour
1 1/3 tsp baking powder
1/3 tsp salt
2 tsp sugar
2 eggs, divided into yolks and whites
1 tblsp, 2 tsp vegetable oil
1 cup milk

The Joy of Cooking recommends adding before the egg whites:
1/2 cup fresh fruit or berries
1/4 cup finely chopped nuts, coconut, raisins or dried fruit
1/4 cup grated semisweet chocolate
1/2 cup shredded cheese or ham (if so, omit sugar)

I stuck with the classic plain waffle, and Andrew was happy!


2 comments:

  1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtlaTNI1TaU

    I've never really considered a savory waffle with ham & cheese. It's now on my to-do list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. the Joy of Cooking is one of the best cookbooks! these look delicious but I like mine with apples or blueberries!

    ReplyDelete