Friday, July 20, 2012

Peach lazy cake

Living next door to Georgia in the summer means peaches, and lots of them. One night, I just had sliced peaches and cheddar cheese for dinner. This is a summer staple from my childhood called "lazy cake"--you'll see why! It takes about as long to  throw together as it takes to slice a couple of peaches and melt some butter. You can bake it while you're eating dinner, and it's done by dessert. Growing up, we'd often eat it after Daddy grilled something for dinner. Barbecued chicken, grilled zucchini, fresh tomatoes and lazy cake: what could be better? It's my brother's all-time favorite, and I think it's up there for Andrew as well. It develops a crisp crust and a light center punctuated with delicious peach pieces. You can really use any fruit you have around; blackberries are great in it. I had peaches, so that's what I used.

I got this recipe from my mom, who probably got it from the angels.

I don't bother measuring the fruit; this was two peaches.
Lazy cake
Preheat the oven to 300 degrees. Melt about 6 tablespoons of butter in a casserole dish. (You can use up to a stick, but you really don't need that much.) I toss it in the oven while it's preheating because I'm extra-lazy, but microwaving is faster. Mix together: 1 cup of flour, 1 cup of sugar and 3 teaspoons of baking powder. Add 2/3 cup milk and pour batter on top of melted butter. Dump 2 1/2 cup peaches or other fruit on top. Bake for 45 minutes to an hour.

It's that easy!

Don't mix the fruit in with the batter--really.

The finished product

YUM!


2 comments:

  1. Hi Katherine, This is Mrs. Mulvaney from Jenkintown. I love your blog, but more importantly, i LOVE PEACHES! Adore peaches! So I can't wait to try the lazy peach recipe!
    So happy for you in your marriage!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lazy cake was our at the beach staple. We would always go down with a bushel or so of peaches and even with everyone eating them night and day, we would invariably need to eat more (such woes). It is great on its own, but even better with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on the still warm cake (it's really like a cobbler).

    ReplyDelete